Travel expenses

Students enrolled at Scottish Universities outwith Edinburgh who are attending the SGSSS Summer School 2017 may claim back travel expenses. Claim forms and instructions for how to complete the forms will be available at Registration during Summer School. This means that students who are registered at University of Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh Napier University and Queen Margaret University. 

What do I need in order to make a travel expenses claim?

You MUST supply original receipts for all travel costs. You must also complete the claim form, which will be available at the time of registration at the Summer School. Please note that not all modes of transport are automatically approved.

Who can claim back travel expenses?

SGSSS can only reimburse Social Sciences students from Scottish universities, and only for travel from within Scotland.

  • If you study at a University outwith Scotland, please note that you will need to organise your own travel funding to attend the SGSSS Summer School.
  • If you are a PhD student in the Arts and Humanities in Scotland you may be able to claim back travel expenses but it might be from SGSAH rather than from SGSSS.
  • If you are enrolled at a Scottish university but live outwith Scotland, please note that we will only reimburse the equivalent amount as it would have cost you to travel from the site of your home institution to Edinburgh. 

What modes of transport can I use?

Public transport, standard class. First class travel cannot be used due to local auditing rules.

Please note that we will only reimburse taxi fares and car mileage by prior agreement. If your intended transport to Edinburgh includes one of the two, do get in touch first! And if you are driving, consider giving a lift to a student.